Industrial Hygiene Coordinator
Requisition Number: 498190
Contract Type: On-going
Categories: Health & Safety
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Duties vary between work places and the candidate requires a flexible approach to ensure that he/she guides and directs the site based industrial hygiene teams:
- Continuously exchange and monitor the exchange of information between operations and individuals to ensure effective knowledge improvement according to organisational objectives.
- Continue the development of the IH Program and ensure compliance to Industrial Hygiene and Emergency Preparedness systems.
- Provide specialist technical knowledge and advice to all levels of management and resolve a wide range of Industrial Hygiene and Emergency Preparedness challenges and related interfacing issues, requiring solutions for new developments, unusual conditions and corrective measures.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the monitoring programs, including training and awareness, identify opportunities and threats and formulate plans to enhance the participation of management in achieving the company's Targets and Goals.
- Remain abreast of local and international developments and progress within the fields of Industrial Hygiene and Emergency Preparedness.
- Schedule and conduct audits and inspections and coordinate external audits to enhance best practice.
- Plan, guide, undertake surveys and evaluate risks to health in the workplace;
- Liaise with all stakeholders with regards to permissions, exemptions and legal liability.
- Build relationships across disciplines by sharing business information and knowledge to enable the attainment of operational objectives
- Maintain stakeholder relationships by implementing and managing service level agreements.
- Track record of improvements driven by curiosity and application of new knowledge and ideas.
- At least one innovation produced and considered for implementation each year.
- Ensure methods, controls and processes are continuously improved.
- Work routines adapted to fully support corporate initiatives, systems utilization and internal best practices.
- Eliminate or significantly reduce risk by making organisational changes and selecting and designing relevant facilities;
- Consider all options of control, such as ventilation, containment and personal protective equipment and finding cost-effective solutions;
- Liaise with a range of people, including site personnel and health care providers, in the process of evaluating workplaces;
- Provide clear and accurate information on complex occupational health and safety issues;
- Provide training and coaching of the site based industrial hygiene team/staff
- Persuade company management to develop effective hazard controls when required;
- Provide expert opinion and keeping qualifications and knowledge up to date;
- Liaise with regulatory bodies as required.
- Ensure IH strategy and program fully understood & followed
- Ensure Health, safety & environment management systems & procedures followed. Ensure adherence to program goals and objectives.
You will need:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to gain the confidence and cooperation of the workforce;
- An analytical approach to work and a high level of attention to detail;
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to operate effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Negotiating skills and the capacity to persuade others in order to achieve results and initiate action;
- Operational decision-making skills;
- An understanding of practical conditions in industry and the ability to apply workable solutions;
- Be a team player and coach to develop site based IH personnel
- The ability to work independently and also as part of a team to meet health objectives;
- Technical and IT skills for using specialist equipment;
- An interest in the law and regulations.
- Be in the possession of an appropriate qualification;
- Ten (10) years on mine site experience in the field of Industrial Hygiene;
- Willingness to relocate and be based in Zambia;
- A valid driver's license;
Advertised: FLE Daylight Time
Applications close: FLE Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now