Superintendent - Tailings Management Facility
Requisition Number: 499877
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Engineering, Mining, Operations / General Management, Services
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Establish the life of mine and first 5 years' deposition requirements of the TMF working with the design engineers and the process plant team;
- Establish the methodology, implementation, equipment and personnel requirements for the cyclone sand dam raise process;
- Communicating all design related decisions and outcomes to the consultant Tailings Engineer and advising if plans need adjustment;
- Leading the TMF operations team for implementation of the TMF design and documenting the ongoing construction process;
- Overseeing that required tailings deposition infrastructure, methods and operations as well as embankment design work is completed on time and in line with LOM operational requirements;
- Managing the functions of construction quality control and oversee quality assurance on the TMF including necessary reporting;
- Verifying that freeboard, decant tunnel, emergency overflow channels, infrastructure and access routes are properly maintained and reporting any remedial actions that are required;
- Managing the TMF risk register which includes identifying risks throughout the mine life cycle, developing corrective actions to mitigate risk and monitor implementation of corrective actions.
Qualifications and technical competencies
- Degree qualification in engineering (civil, geotechnical, hydrogeology or related discipline) with 5+ years of experience in tailings facility construction and operation;
- Previous involvement in tailings deposition and water balance management is essential;
- Experience in embankment design and quality control;
- High level understanding of civil and geotechnical issues;
- Ability to identify key risks and implements effective management strategies;
- Numerical and analytical skills;
- Good oral and written communications skills;
- Leadership capabilities and able to work with local teams, ability to train, teach and mentor national staff.
- Project and time management skills; and
- Bilingual abilities (Spanish and English) will be advantageous.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now