Junior Engineer, Electrical
Requisition Number: 500986
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Installation of new electrical systems, replacement of old, faulty or redundant Electrical systems as per the Company and vendor's safety and quality specifications.
- Electrical protection
- Ensure and document all electrical safety settings to conform to safety requirements.
- Ensure that all electrical equipment have the correct hardware interlock and safety parameter settings for effective and safe operation.
- Adhere to the companies planned and preventative maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Effectively maintain the electrical equipment with the minimum effect on the plant production.
- Oversee that all electrical maintenance according to the company schedules are done by the relevant sub ordinates
Reporting and record keeping.
- Compile a detailed report on all activities, plans, costs and labour.
- Report all incidents immediately to the Superintendent.
- Ensure that all Safety logbooks are checked and signed according to the procedure.
- Ensure that stock levels of electrical equipment are maintained in the warehouse
- Create new stock for all critical items to ensure minimum effect on production in the event of a failure.
Tools and audit.
- Oversee the correct and safe usage of all hand tools within your section
- Record and control all replacement of tools.
- Oversee the maintain the highest safety standard on the condition and usage of all electrical test equipment
Training and development.
- Provide and schedule all necessary training for all the employees to comply with all safety standards and statutory compliance.
- Identify needs for specialised training requirements within your area.
- Manage and control the transport under your control.
- Ensure all requests for service is adhered to.
- No person will operate any equipment without a official permit.
- Any other duties as directed by the Senior Electrical Supervisor.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Valid LV Driver's License.
- Minimum TWO years' experience in a Mining environment working as an Engineer
- Knowledge of LV systems, MCC's and protection.
- Some knowledge of LV and MV Transformers
- Maintenance of Electrical motors
- Maintenance of Overhead cranes.
- Knowledge of variable speed drives, Soft starters and DOL starters
- Good knowledge on the use of electrical measuring instruments.
- Reading electrical drawings
- Computer literate.
- Any Leadership or Supervisory Training courses.
- Technical Skills
- Standby and overtime when required
- Exposure to noise/dust
Advertised: FLE Standard Time
Applications close: FLE Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now