Safety Officer – Smelter and Outfields
Requisition Number: 501284
Contract Type: Fixed Term, Project Based
Categories: Environmental, Health & Safety, Smelter
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The hoilder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure established company health, safety policies and procedures are upheld
- Review and update safety practices and procedures on the site
- Conduct informal daily and formal weekly safety inspections in all areas within the scope of the responsibility
- Conduct accident & incident investigations
- Maintain emergency preparedness and response procedures for fire, hazardous transportation, spills, chemical handling etc.
- Assist in the incident simulations and preparedness drills.
- Assist in audit and inspection programmes of safety and emergency response equipment.
- Conduct general site inductions for all new employees and contractors
- Attend crew toolbox meetings
- Formulation of Risk Assessments and Job Safety Analyses
- Provide accurate and detailed daily, weekly and monthly reports
- Attend monthly SHE Rep meetings and prepare minutes
- Enforce the Zambian Guide to Mining Regulations
- Promote a positive Health and Safety Culture
- Studying toward official recognized Safety Diploma (NEBOSH, NVQ Level 5)
- IRCA or COMSOC 1-3 Certificates.
Minimum of 5 years safety experience within the Mining / Processing / Smelter industry.
Knowledge of OH&S systems, OSHSAS 18001 system
Experience in safety investigations and auditing
Experience in development of safety procedures and standards within the organization
Emergency response training and participation.
High level of competency in the use of computers and relevant software.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Advertised: FLE Daylight Time
Applications close: FLE Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now