Mine Production Manager (Open Pit)
Requisition Number: 501335
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Support the Mine Manager in the execution of the mine plan, production targets and mining methodology according to the budget, schedule and quality controls.
- Manage and guide the mining operations team to achieve the economic targets of the mine plan for ore and waste delivery.
- Deliver ROM tonnes and grades, and waste stripping, as in accordance with the daily to annual plan and budget.
- Manage and control OPEX and CAPEX in accordance with approved plans.
- Ensure that an appropriate team structure is in place to deliver optimal performance in the mine.
- Plan and organise mining activities in regards to drill & blast, load & haul, cable handling & ancillary services and the management of waste dumps and all stockpiles according to short and long term plans.
- Day-to-day supervision of mine-related projects as appropriate to meet the mine plan, across earthworks projects, sump excavation, ramps, box cuts, and other, according to plans, schedules, quality control and other project management functions provided by the Mine Manager or the Project Construction Manager (or both).
- Plan and coordinate the maintenance of mining equipment to ensure a reliable maintenance system for all heavy equipment is developed and executed. Ensure equipment reliability is at budget levels at optimal cost.
- Recommend relevant benchmarks and identify the best practice leading to these and the improvement activities required to achieve and exceed them.
- Enforce performance targets and use systems to assess the performance of the mining team.
- Ensure that safety, labour/union, health and environmental, legal and company standards are complied with, emphasizing safety as a top priority; and acting as a role model to staff.
- Provide training, growth opportunities, support and guidance to mining and mine maintenance personnel.
The appointee will have:
- Minimum 10 years appropriate experience including at least 5 years in a senior mine production role, preferably in a high-volume mining environment.
- A tertiary qualification in engineering or production management will be advantageous.
- Well-entrenched safety and quality principles; and attention to detail.
- Proven technical and managerial abilities relevant to mine production.
- Ability to lead and work in a team; across the site team and in particular within the mine production team itself and across to the mine technical services team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Spanish language skills are advantageous.
The candidate will be self-motivated, ambitious and resilient with a history of successful team leadership and goal achievement.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now