Mining Project Engineer / Ingeniero de Proyectos Mineros (senior)
Requisition Number: 501680
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
Categories: Engineering, Mining, Operations / General Management, Projects
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The Project Engineer must be able to understand and add value to the project plan which generally includes scopes, schedules, deliverables, budgets, quality control among others.
1. Oversee and direct projects and tasks from conception to closure.
2. Projects are initiated by the Mine Manager and initially scoped by design teams. The Project Manager must be able to understand and add value to the project plan which generally includes scopes, schedules, deliverables, budgets, quality control, and so on.
3. To be able to fully implement the project plan which involves:
a. Compliance with all safety regulations and codes.
b. Able to liaise closely with functional superintendents, supervisors and technical staff to obtain resources such as labour, machinery and time.
c. Liaise with suppliers, vendors, contractors and procurement staff to obtain essential resources and information.
d. Select tools, materials and equipment and track inventory.
e. Meet required conditions of performance and quality control.
4. Prepare internal and external reports on the status of the work being performed and any ad-hoc reporting required by the Mine Manager.
5. Plan ahead to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones.
6. Assist in the negotiation of terms of agreements including tenders and draft contracts if or when required.
7. Analyse, manage and mitigate risks and prompt reporting of any such to the Mine Manager.
8. Ensure quality standards and the use of proper techniques.
Qualifications and technical competencies:
1. A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
2. Professional qualifications as a project manager (e.g. PMP, APM, PRINCE2).
3. A minimum of 5 years working in the same role as a Project Engineer and or Project Manager in an open pit mine, earth-moving or construction environment.
4. It would be advantageous if you have a background in working in the same role in different sized open pit mines worldwide, please name each one, its location and country.
5. Proven working experience using project methodology.
6. Good verbal and written skills to facilitate information transfer both upwards and downwards in direction.
7. Knowledge of MS Office especially Word and Excel.
8. Able to work with minimal supervision, to take ownership of their area, and being prepared to work unsocial hours as required.
9. Leadership capabilities and able to work with local teams, ability to train, teach and mentor national staff.
10. Bilingual abilities Spanish and English however English must be at an advanced level written and spoken.
11. Able to work effectively in a multinational and multicultural environment.
12. Must provide curriculum in English.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now