Requisition Number: 501687
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Provide leadership, strategy and direction in all matters related to environmental management and activities on site;
- Train, develop and manage a team of local expatriate environmental personnel;
- Develop and implement an environmental management system in line with ISO14001:2015 to manage all environmental aspects across the site;
- Drive the implementation of corporate environmental standards;
- Develop a monthly environmental reporting system and take full responsibility for environmental compliance;
- Manage ongoing internal and external environmental audits and in particular, biodiversity audits;
- Manage environmental consultants as and when necessary;
- Implement Company safety standards and practices in the environmental department;
- Provide the necessary guidance and advice to production teams in respect of their environmental responsibility, environmental permit and mining license compliance requirements, and help drive environmental performance and industrial best practice across the site;
- Work with other departments such as community affairs and legal to ensure appropriate solutions to community related environmental issues;
- Communicate regularly with the General Manager, departmental heads and corporate environmental team on environmental performance;
- Set Key Performance Indicators and environmental targets for continual improvement;
- Set and monitor the operating budget and controls for the environmental department;
- Liaise with relevant government authorities on all environmental matters;
- Establish and monitor methods of measurement and tracking in respect of environmental performance and compliance with development consent, permits and licenses. Maintain appropriate records to ensure visibility and transparency. Complete compliance reports on time and to the highest standard;
- Management of regulatory development consent approvals for existing and new development opportunities; and
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Technical Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degrees in environmental management or engineering from an internationally recognized university. A higher degree will be advantageous;
- Minimum five years’ experience in a leadership or management role and ten years’ experience in environmental management within mining;
- Previous experience in the implementation of an internationally recognized environmental management system at a mining or industrial facility;
- Sound understanding of mining principles;
- Ability to engage with and negotiate with external stakeholders;
- Experience in the legal requirements associated with environmental management and mining;
- Numerical and analytical skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Leadership capabilities and ability to work with local teams, ability to train, teach and mentor national staff;
- Project and time management skills; and
- Bilingual abilities (Spanish and English) is essential.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now