Drill and Blast Engineer (Planning)
Requisition Number: 501771
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are currently searching for competent and experienced people who will be responsible for the Drill and Blast designs.
• Must have an overall understanding of the drill & blast management of an open pit operation.
• Development of drill & blast designs and Blastmasters for each working bench.
• Liaise with the short term planning engineers and senior production staff to efficiently schedule the drilling and blasting requirements and minimise interruption of other mining operations.
• Advise and counsel the short term planning staff on short term mine design and scheduling from a drill and blast perspective.
• Liaise with the Drill and Blast Superintendent to ensure drilling and blasting operations are carried out in a cost effective manner.
• Liaise with the Drill and blast Superintendent to develop and implement procedures that optimise the drill and blast process.
• Ore control will be a vital part of your activities, ensuring dilution is minimized by division into ore and waste patterns as close as possible, respecting ore/waste boundaries, minimizing horizontal throw.
• Develop a controlled blasting program to minimize damage to pit walls.
• Understand the effects of fragmentation in downstream processes (mill throughput), and understand the impacts of pattern/shot design on total drill and blasting costs.
• Understand burden/spacing relationships and their applications in which to optimize total pattern design, explosives and fragmentation with respect to ground conditions.
• Development of cost control systems and budgeting.
• Provide mentoring and guidance to national drill and blast planning engineers.
• Ensuring a safe working environment at all times.
• Developing & initiating continuous improvement projects.
• Act as quality control on operations: that holes are drilled to current plan, to the correct pattern, depth and inclination to achieve the desired blast results.
• Prepare, monitor and update production data associated with drilling and blasting activities. Review Q/A data, digging sheets and blast videos to determine areas of further improvement.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Degree/Diploma in mining engineering or explosives technologies.
• +10 years open pit mining in a drill and blast capacity.
• Demonstrated knowledge of drill and blast design and initiation software.
• Demonstrated people leadership and ability to training and transfer skills.
• A valid driver's licence.
• A valid blasting certificate will be desirable.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now