Senior Accountant Payroll
Requisition Number: 501930
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This includes supervising a payroll team of 6 personnel as well as the performance of direct hands' on payroll and accounting tasks.
- Ensure that Payroll systems are implemented to provide timely, accurate and relevant data for:
- Salary payment purposes
- Compliance with all statutory and contractual obligations
- Develop strong working relationships with all stakeholders (particularly The Human Resources department as well as all Cobre Panama employees) such that their information requirements are clearly understood and met.
- Ensure that all month-end payroll accounting procedures are completed and that month-end close-off and reporting is achieved within Group close-off deadlines.
- Ensure that appropriate internal controls are implemented commensurate with the operating environment.
- Co-ordinate the payroll requirements of both the external and internal audit processes.
- Provide guidance on applicable payroll legislation and practices including keeping abreast of all legislative changes/key developments and advising management of potential impacts.
- Co-ordinate with the reasury team to ensure that sufficient funds are on hand to meet all payroll obligations based on monthly cash forecasts.
- Build a cohesive and effective payroll team within the company.
- Ensuring that the team have the necessay skills and experience to support the business requirements;
- Managing and directing the activities of the team to ensure business objectives are met;
- Build and promote a cohesive team to ensure employee job satisfavtion and skill enhancement opportunities;
- Organize team member's individual development programs as part of the team's overall skills matrix requirement and performance objectives;
- Positively contribute, through strong leadership, and adherence to the company's Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting/finance or related field.
- Postgraduate qualifications desirable (eg. CPA, MBA)
- Possess a minimum of 10 years' relevant financial experience including supervision of large payroll function.
- A strong supervisory background with proven ability to train and mentor staff.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now