Requisition Number: 502083
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Promote a health and safety culture by actively participating in and promoting HSE initiatives.
- Develop standard safe working procedures and ensure that all staff are trained in the use of these standards.
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
- Ensure employees work in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out) standards, quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Manage and co-ordinate daily corrective actions.
- Enforce housekeeping standards in all designated work areas.
Help to set up workshops
- Assist with hiring and training the team to staff workshops at a world class mine.
- Ensure that the necessary machine tools are purchased, installed and commissioned and are ready when required.
- Ensure that workshops are equipped to handle all plant rotables, space, lifting capacity and workflow.
- Ensure that tool stores have the necessary tools and equipment and that tool issuing procedures are in place with sufficient controls to prevent loss of tools.
- To create and implement SOP’s for all workshops.
Run and manage workshops efficiently and economically
- Manage fabrication-, reline-, wear protection- and plant workshops.
- Manage site lifts, mobile cranes and personnel lifting equipment’s and -machines.
- Ensure that all statutory inspection of equipment is carried out and recorded.
- Manage tool stores so that all tools are properly and neatly stored and maintained in good working order.
- Work with managers and superintendents (Planning, Engineering & Plant) to ensure that necessary rotables are overhauled in time and that the work is of good quality.
- Systematically develop methods, materials, tools and parts so that downtime is minimised.
- Manage the plant’s mechanical shift maintenance crews, both dry- and wet plant.
- Provide input to shutdown planning in coordination with planner(s) so that plant availability is maximized and the use of contractor resources is minimized.
- Provide technical support for the mechanical maintenance personnel on a daily basis to maximize production and efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Report on maintenance activities and performance indicators.
- Manage budget for PM, upgrades (installation of new equipment) and plant parts inventory.
- Ensure that the required parts and materials are ordered and that sufficient stocks are available when needed.
Collaborate with E&M team and related functions to optimize efficiencies
- Evaluate plant performance to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Review plant design for debottlenecking and efficiency/operability improvement and provide financial justification for related capital projects.
Provide leadership to the team
- Manage a team responsible for the workshops activities.
- Ensure that shifts are appropriately staffed. Participate in the interviewing, hiring, training and development of personnel in an effort to retain and develop the best talent for the organization.
- Provide clear work objectives and expectations for the performance levels required to achieve business plans and production goals.
- Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, and providing feedback and coaching.
- Work with Human Resources and E&M management to identify training opportunities that provide depth and versatility for all new and advancing maintenance employees. Determine training and development needs, develop plans and establish performance metrics to meet those needs, and provide ongoing assessment tools to ensure desired results are being achieved.
- Promote a positive employee environment ensuring a continuation of the solid working relationship with all employees.
- Act as deputy for the colleges as required.
- Mechanical Engineer Degree.
- Or related Trade Certificate related to Heavy Fixed Plant Equipment Maintenance.
- A business management qualification would be advantageous.
- Worked in mining or heavy industry.
- Experience in the maintenance of ore processing equipment such as crushers, conveyors, mills, pumps and large drives.
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a maintenance role; 5 years of which should be in Senior Supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of JDEdwards or other enterprise systems.
- Strong user of maintenance management systems and overall MS Office is an advantage.
- Proven track of records managing workshops.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Team player and results orientated.
- Highly motivated & driven.
- Methodological and organized.
- Relate and communicate to people on all levels.
- Good Problem Solving ability & Patient attitude.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now