Senior Mine Geologist
Requisition Number: 502112
Contract Type: On-going
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Demonstration of a "safety first" focus by providing a strong contribution to the site safety culture and programs;
- Undertake the duties required of the position in a diligent and competent manner and as directed by the Chief Geologist;
- Ensure that all functional activities are carried out in accordance with MCM guidelines and policies;
- Encourage teamwork where the performance of sum of the group is greater than that of any individual;
- Contribute to annual work programmes and budgets;
- Assist with ensuring effective cost control practices are developed and implemented (in the area of responsibility of the role) to ensure compliance to budgets;
- Contribute towards the continuous improvement of MCM’s mining operations;
- Identify areas of improvement within the current resource and grade control systems and development approaches;
- Be actively involved in work to resolve/improve mine geology contribution to mining and processing. This will include development and implementation of on-going geological/mineralogical/geometallurgical characterization;
- Assist with development, implementation and execution of on-going geological drilling and sampling programmes for developing targets and mineral resource extension and infill;
- Develop, enhance, and maintain 3D geological models and routines;
- Assist with and support teams in logging RC cuttings and diamond core while maintaining a secure database;
- Managing the collection, dispatch, QAQC and reporting of sample and assay data; providing a strong contribution to timely, safe, secure and quality storage and delivery of data;
- manage and mentor direct reports (geologists, drillers, samplers and others);
- perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Geologist;
- This is a leadership role with direct reports and a responsibility to train and mentor junior mine geologists.
The appointee will have:
- Well-entrenched safety and quality principles;
- A recognized geoscience tertiary qualification;
- Minimum of five to ten years’ experience in mining and production geology is required;
- Membership of a Recognized Overseas Professional Organisation (ROPO) will be an advantage;
- Demonstrated leadership, initiative and project management capability required;
- Proficiency in the following software packages such as – Datamine Studio RM™, Leapfrog Geo™, GEOVIA Surpac™, Snowden Supervisor™, Microsoft Suite, Datashed database;
- In-depth knowledge of the integration of mining geology with mining and processing for optimal recoveries;
- Ability to work within a team environment and possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to work closely with peers at all levels required;
- Familiarity with logging diamond core, RC chips and sampling processes required;
- A high level of scientific and analytical ability;
- Proven high levels of integrity and a reputation for the same;
- Able to mentor and train team members;
- The candidate will be self-motivated, ambitious and resilient with a history of successful team leadership and goal achievement.
- Emotionally mature and motivated
- High level of integrity
- Quality oriented
- Attention to detail
- Energetic and resilient
- Medically fit
- In possession of a valid driver’s licence.
Advertised: Greenwich Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now