Requisition Number: 502334
Contract Type: On-going
Location: Akjoujt, Nouakchott
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key areas of Responsibility:
Responsible for leading, planning, coordinating all operations of the open pit mining and will ensure maximum productivity and extraction rates by optimising labour and the owner-operated fleet, complying with Health and Safety regulations; detailed as follows:
- Ensure the mining operations team works to the highest safety standards, all hazards and risks are identified and corrective and preventative actions are continually put in place to ensure a safe and efficient working environment.
- Ensure all mining personnel and contractors work in accordance to relevant laws, regulations, company policies, standards and procedures.
- Coordinate the team’s - people, equipment, spares, consumables and facilities so as to achieve mining equipment utilization and cost management objectives as set out in the yearly budget.
- Ensure maximum productivity and extraction rates by optimizing mining methods, procedures and equipment operator skills.
- Review data and confer with engineering, mine maintenance and supervisory personnel to plan and direct mine development.
- Direct team supervisors in operational plans.
- Direct priority for mobile equipment maintenance based on operational demands.
- Train and mentor the local workforce in the mine operations team to ensure development of team individual team members.
Required Technical Skills, Training & Experience:
- At least 10 years open pit mining operations experience * Extensive experience in an open pit metal mining environment, of which a minimum of 5 years should have been in a leadership role.
- Ability to manage a large diverse grouping of mining personnel.
- A total team player, results driven and prepared to contribute to the wider mine's objectives in an energetic and proactive manner.
- Thorough knowledge of mining and environmental legislation and best practice.
- Excellent communications skills.
Advertised: Greenwich Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now