Requisition Number: 502690
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function
- Review and prepare plant changes/improvements proposals
- Prepare design drawings, details, from sketches, concepts or mark-ups provided by KCS staff. Design complex drawings, such as P&ID, construction documents, design layouts, detailed drawings, equipment skid and piping.
- Prepare and work with bills of material (BOMs) and other construction documents.
- Develop equipment/material schedules and material takeoffs, from drawings or sketches. Support preparation of requests for bids for subcontractors and material vendors, as directed.
- Create and markup existing PDF documents.
- Update drawings and 3D model of the plant
- Maintain technical knowledge by reviewing relevant technical publications.
- Manage Smelter PCR (plant change request) on share-point – Initiate, close and cancel PCR with relevant details
- Assist with day to day project functions, as needed, including researching product specifications, contacting vendors, and other support functions as needed.
- Maintain utilization by assisting with non-drafting activities such as component assembly and work in the shop as appropriate.
- Work as part of a collaborative team to balance workloads and ensure quality deliverables are produced on time.
- Adhere to FQML practices, policies and procedures for document revision control.
- Design and evaluate mechanical and structural related systems associated with the pyro metallurgical process of copper extraction
- Liaise closely with his/her counterparts in the Smelter section
- Allocate adequate time in developing staff directly reporting to you
- Assist in shutdown planning
- Other duties as directed by the Superintendent
- Degree or Diploma in Mechanical Design Engineering/Technology or Equivalent
- Navisworks Simulate
- At least 5 years’ experience in Design and AutoCAD drawing development
- At least 5 years’ experience in smelter greenfield or brownfield projects
- Experience in remediation technology (preferred)
- Good at implementing changes in operating pant
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Customer focused, results-oriented professional and strong team player
- Self-starter that demonstrates initiative
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and stay organized
- MS office proficient (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong understanding of mechanical design fundamentals and practices
- ERB & EIZ
Beware of imposters who call applicants purporting to be HR Officers and requesting money for work. First Quantum Minerals does not request applicants to pay any fees for possible placement within FQM in Zambia. Please report any activities of this nature to the Zambian Police and Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), and in addition call and inform FQM Security at Kansanshi on 0966154417 and +260 212 658444.
Advertised: FLE Standard Time
Applications close: FLE Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now