Requisition Number: 502718
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
Categories: Procurement and Logistics
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Adherence to FQM Cobre Panama Code of Ethics;
• Adherence to FQM Cobre Panama Safety and Environmental Management Systems;
• Perform purchasing activities for goods and materials from local and international suppliers as required, including
(but not limited to) the following:
o Analyze price proposals, financial reports and other information to determine reasonable prices;
o Evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, and delivery speed;
o Source and validate vendor data relevant to Equipment and Materials;
o Identifying opportunities for cost reductions;
• Assist with the establishment and maintenance of Fixed Pricing Agreements (FPA’s);
• Assist the Accounts Payable department to resolve any pricing discrepancies;
• Assist with pricing information for purposes other than procurement, such as
the preparation of budget submissions, scopes of work, detailed costing for identified
modifications and upgrades as required;
• Maintain a supplier list and such other records as are required for the efficient operation of the purchasing
• Any other work as reasonably requested by the Procurement Specialist.
The Procurement Officer role currently reports to the Senior Procurement Officer. Working relationships are widespread and
significant. Close working relationships with all members of the management team are essential as they are internal clients;
• Senior Procurement Officer - Communicate regularly to ensure purchasing functions are carried out according to site
• Procurement Superintendent - A close working relationship with the Procurement Superintendent will be required
(e.g. Procurement Specialist away on Rotation).
Safety and Environment
• Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness;
• Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices;
• Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken;
• Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness;
• Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Experience in international and local purchasing activities;
• Highly developed communication and negotiation skills;
• Strong team player whilst possessing ability to work autonomously;
• Possess strong commercial acumen and business integrity;
• Firm commitment to safe work practices.
• Degree in Purchasing Management or relevant discipline;
• Good written and spoken Spanish and English allowing reporting and negotiation in both languages;
• Previous mine-site experience;
• Previous experience with ERP systems (e.g. JD Edwards).
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now