Capital Accountant Supervisor
Requisition Number: 502719
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are currently seeking qualified and experienced Senior Capital Accountant for Cobre Panama.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
• Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
• Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
• Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
• Ensure work is executed in compliance with H&S), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
• Develop and implement procedures for the accurate and efficient control of company assets.
• Monitor fixed assets controls, safeguarding activities in the field in conjunction with responsible
• Record all fixed asset acquisitions and disposals in JDEdwards ensuring compliance with corporate approval
• Reconcile the balance in the fixed asset register to the control accounts in the general ledger.
• Ensure depreciation is calculated in a timely and accurate manner in compliance with corporate procedures.
• Assist in periodic physical inventory of fixed assets for reconciliation with the register.
• Prepare reports for the Fixed Asset Project.
• Liaise and develop strong working relationship, with departmental Superintendents and Managers.
• Actively train, develop and assist in mentoring through skills transfer to the Capital Accountant.
• Engage with the FQM Way culture across the business – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”
• Act as deputy for colleagues as required.
• Perform any other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• A Tertiary Qualification in Accounting, Administration, Engineering or related field.
• Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent capital accounting skills particularly in the areas of mining/engineering.
• Strength in planning and organisation to ensure accuracy of the Fixed Asset register.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills to facilitate accurate transfer of information in both an upward and downward direction.
• Ability to work under pressure in a sometimes stressful environment.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Computer fluency is a must with strong Microsoft Office skills in particular, strength in Excel.
• Minimum of 2 years’ direct experience performing similar capital accounting function in a large industrial company.
• Experience with JDEdwards will be highly regarded.
Fluency in English and Spanish highly regarded.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now