Health & Safety Manager
Requisition Number: 502721
Contract Type: On-going
Categories: Health & Safety
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- To ensure the day to day management of safety issues are addressed with Managers.
- Will look beyond the immediate risks to identify potential latent failures that are in the company processes and set in place processes to mitigate against these risks.
- Liaise with all Mangers and assist in implementation of Safety and Health Standards in line with Corporate strategy and annual business plans.
- Support the development of national site safety personal to ensure that they succeed in their positions.
- Health & Safety Manager will be a direct resource and provide daily guidance to deal with safety issues that arise.
- Ensure the continued engagement of workers through various initiatives such as THINK, Visible Field Leadership etc and develop a business plan and implementation program for these.
- Audit all operational areas against the FQM Health and Safety Management System standards and assist with improving compliance levels.
- Audit operational areas against policy, risk and impact identification and assist with the development of action plans.
- Review, design and implement summarized site operational health and safety topics and procedures.
- Review and standardize site occupational health monitoring protocols and programs and implement an overall Occupational Health Program guideline for the site. Work closely with the company Medical Advisors in relation to occupational health issues.
- Review and assist in the standardization of site contractor controls and procedures.
- Provide strategic direction and input towards a more systematic approach to overall health and safety management at sites ensuring a continual improvement approach in line with OHSAS 18001.
- Audit emergency response preparedness, procedures and training and assist in the continual improvement planning for emergency resources. (Includes community awareness).
- Monitor and review accidents and incidents and review recurrent events and assist in development and implementation of remedial actions.
- Participate in high potential incident investigations and identify areas for improvement.
- Compile monthly reports from all operations in line with corporate and site requirements.
- Support management & supervisor development training programs and establish high standards of safety performance for management.
- Support the organizational culture of FQM (Bolder, Driven, Smarter) and actively promote it’s translation in terms of safety related activity.
- Manage the site operating and capital budgets.
- Keep abreast of new developments and best practices in the field of Health & Safety and make recommendations for improvements.
- Diploma / Degree in Occupational Health and Safety Management.
- Minimum of 10 years safety experience within the mining industry.
- Knowledge of OH&S systems, preferably OSHSAS 18001 system.
- Experience in health and safety investigations and auditing.
- Experience in development of health and safety procedures and standards within the organization.
- Emergency response training and participation.
- French language skills (speaking, reading and writing), preferable but not absolute requirement.
Advertised: Greenwich Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now