Senior Drill and Blast Engineer
Requisition Number: 502722
Contract Type: On-going
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Providing drill and blast engineering services, including blast hole pattern, charging and initiation design.
- Coordinating with internal resources (mine planning, geology, production, drill supervisor) to schedule and execute drilling activities in a safe and efficient manner.
- Monitoring drill and blast production data and taking appropriate action to maintain targets.
- Managing and mitigating related risks.
- Leading H&S and environmental compliance and participating in incident investigations involving explosive usage.
- Consulting with the site geological/geotechnical engineer and third party consultants to manage and optimize pit wall stability.
- Managing and enhancing vendor relationships (contractors, consultants, suppliers).
- Investigating and introducing new innovations to improve drilling and blasting performance.
- Supervising the Drill & Blast Engineer and/or mentoring planning and geological/geotechnical engineers.
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- A degree qualification in Mining Engineering with considerable drilling and blasting operations experience in a production environment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct risk assessments.
- Track record of implementing continuous improvement projects.
- Effective report writing and communication skills (in French or English).
- Unwavering commitment to safety.
Advertised: Greenwich Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now