Senior Geotechnical Engineer (E)
Requisition Number: 502723
Contract Type: On-going
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Provide a strong contribution to maintaining and improving the site safety, health and environment culture.
- To undertake the duties required of the position in a diligent and competent manner.
- To ensure that all activities are carried out in accordance with MCM guidelines and policies.
- Review and updating of the Ground Control Management Plan annually.
- Ensuring compliance to the Ground Control Standard.
- Maintain ongoing geotechnical scanline and window mapping across all active pits.
- Ensure that all active mining areas have been audited and the data included into the database.
- Ensure that all active dumping areas have been audited and the data included into the database.
- Ensure that the decline infrastructure is audited on a weekly basis and the data included in the database.
- Provide feedback on geotechnical issues at the weekly planning meetings.
- Review blast shots and ensure compliance to the geotechnical design parameters as well as the planned design.
- Conduct pit wall geotechnical stability & safety analyses, inclusive of pro-active and reactive (post-failure) reviews and investigations.
- Monitor and report on pit wall movements, inclusive of analysis of data from prisms, slope stability radar scans and any other means of monitoring available.
- Plan and prioritise areas to be scanned by means of Ground Penetrating Radar and prepare appropriate reports and coordinate.
- Design, coordinate, implement and supervise geotechnical drilling programs.
- Ensure geotechnical test work samples are prepared to the highest standard prior to dispatch for analysis.
- Ensure compliance to the MCM Mapping and Logging Standard.
- Ensure all geotechnical projects are compliant with MCM, and statutory requirements.
- Review of structural, lithological and geotechnical correlations to enhance the understanding of the geology within active mining areas and areas proposed for development.
- Coordination of the data collection as inputs to the Geotechnical Model.
- Review of the slope design parameters and domains on an annual basis.
- Provide geotechnical assessments for new cutbacks, new pit projects and tailings dams embankments.
- Provide input into all aspects of open pit design and operation impacting on pit stability, inclusive of; drill and blast practices, design parameters, mining practices, dewatering and depressurization requirements.
- Drafting of technical memorandums pertaining to geotechnical aspects.
- Contribute to monthly and annual internal reports.
- Prepare the sections annual budgets and be responsible for monthly expenditure.
- Provide training and mentoring to Technicians in pit mapping, core orientation, core logging, data input and data analysis.
- Responsible for employee performance management and setting objectives for development.
- Coordinate the annual review of the geotechnical section by a third party consultant.
- Other duties as directed by the Supervisor.
- Proactively lead, supervise and manage the Geotechnical Section of the Geology Department to achieving industry best practice, continued safe mining, and achievement of MCM 'Annual' and 'Life of Mine' planned targets.
- Development and upgrading of models to support mineral resource evaluation and mine design parameters.
- Technical knowledge sharing and systems integration.
- Continuous improvement initiatives.
- Mentoring of junior geotechnical Engineers and field Geo technicians.
- Assist with the development of standards, functional departmental plans, policies, procedures and best practices.
- Provide training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an ongoing basis, with a particular focus on Zambian employees.
- Development of Reporting Systems.
- Monthly Technical Reporting to support mining operations and geotechnical functions.
- Assist with preparation of annual resource reports.
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Geology or equivalent qualification.
- Post grade – Eng. Geotechnical.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in an appropriate function relating to Geotechnical, both in Mining and Exploration, at least 3 years of which must have been at Senior position level.
- Firm understanding of geotechnical and geology systems and processes and how they integrate with mining production and mineral resource management.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Mining, Business and Technical Services Management.
- Demonstrated experience of developing standards, policies and procedures.
- Experienced in general Geotechnical Programme Management.
- Good working knowledge of technical software (Surpac, Datamine, Mapinfo / Discover 3D).
- Microsoft Suite of Software.
Advertised: Greenwich Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now