Technician, Gold Room Control
Requisition Number: 502853
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Mining, Process
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the Gold Room including a high standard of area housekeeping.
- Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI to achieve maximised, timely, efficient and secure gold production and recovery.
- Adhere to SOPs and ensure accurate monitoring of the activities in the Gold Room.
- The role has equipment and operations accountability for gravity concentrator storage hopper, magnetic separators, sizing screens, shaking tables, filters, calcining ovens and smelting equipment.
- Monitor, control and report on any security concerns in and around the Gold Room and Gravity circuit.
- Conduct shift physical checks on all Gold Room equipment availability and report back to the Superintendent, Gravity and Gold.
- Monitor and maintain stock levels of consumables.
- Develop and maintain good accounting, despatch and record keeping standards for Gold bearing materials.
- Undertake to achieve an excellent operating knowledge of the theory and practices of the equipment in the Gold Room.
- Liaise with engineering staff in planned and/or breakdown maintenance activities.
- Assist in the preparation of daily productions reports.
- Promote and support continuous improvement of work practices and processes in the Gold Room area.
- Maintain good relations and communications within a small trusted team to ensure high production standards and a secure, efficient operation.
- Report on areas for improvement to increase efficiencies and reduce operational costs.
- Implement FQM Way culture across the Gold Room team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent Gravity & Gold.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A Tertiary Qualification in Chemistry or related discipline from an accredited institution highly regarded.
- Commitment to SHEC performance.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
- Skilled in performance of duties requiring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Computer fluency is essential.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in a Gold Room or similar position.
- Experience in the operations of a large copper concentrator and gold gravity concentrator highly regarded.
Fluency in Spanish is required and competency in English is highly regarded.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now