Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist (Tailing Mgm Facilities)
Requisition Number: 502977
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Operations / General Management, Port
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Actualmente estamos buscando personas con experiencia para unirse a nuestra operación Cobre Panamá.
Role and Responsibilities
The TMF GIS Specialist will report to the TMF Operations Superintendent.
Reporting to the TMF Operations Superintendent this position is responsible for creating and managing the TMF spatial database to support TMF planning, operations and monitoring programs including deposition modelling, water inventory management and inspection program.
The TMF GIS Specialist key responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with planner to map out spigot, sand placement distribution pipes and water management based on topography
- Calculate catchment areas for active work area to support water management infrastructure planning
- Produce various iteration of the tailings deposition model output
- Develop a geodatabase for spatial queries
- Manage the photographical database
- Calculate surfaces and volumes based on LIDAR and survey data
- Create various maps to support weekly and monthly reporting and presentations
- Upload and georeference drone survey data to produce monthly tailings deposition updates
- Import field inspection and survey data into database and produce visualization tools
We are currently searching for experienced people to join our Cobre Panama operation.
To be successful in this role you will require:
- Experience in the mining industry and preferably with tailings management facilities operations.
- Professional background in Geology, Geography, Hydrology or related discipline with specialization in GIS
- 10yrs of related work experience
- Advanced GIS software knowledge including Esri Suite
- Knowledge of AutoCad and Civil 3D
- Experience with 3D modeling for tailings deposition (eg.Muck 3D)
- Experience with database structures (geodatabase, MS Access, SQL) would be beneficial
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word, and Access, and the integration of spreadsheets, database tables and text files in ArcGIS.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Previous experience in tailings deposition planning or water balance management is an asset
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now