Bolt On - Operations Specialist – Safety Systems
Requisition Number: 502985
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Process, Health & Safety
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges:
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- The role has responsibility to develop, implement, apply, train and embed the defined critical safety systems within the Process Plant.
The safety systems include (but not limited to):
- Work Permitting
- Lock Out Tag Out
- Confined Space
- Working At Heights
- Hot Work
Define and develop all required procedures and supporting documentation.
Define, develop and implement specific theoretical and practical training materials.
Conduct theoretical and field training activities, with strong focus on practical competency.
Assess competency of relevant personnel (operators, maintainers, contractors etc), and complete the appropriate formal assessments.
Maintain accurate and comprehensive training and coaching records.
Define, purchase and maintain the supporting infrastructure and consumables for the relevant safety systems.
Act according to FQM Way culture - "Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together."
Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- A relevant qualification in Mineral Processing or related field highly regarded.
- Strong training, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong drive and personal sense of accountability.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble and impart training materials.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Minimum of 10 years of direct experience in specific plant equipment.
- Minimum 5 years of training & development experience.
- Fluency in Spanish is required and competency in English highly regarded.
- Safety Awareness
- Results driven
- Applied learning
- Developing Others
- Quality Orientation
- Diligent and thorough in approach
- Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as 2-year fixed term FIFO or Residential. Residential is the preferred option. Work hours and rosters may vary as required by the business.
Safety and Environment:
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now