TMF Field Technician
Requisition Number: 503759
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Role and Responsibilities
- The TMF Field Operator, reporting to the Shift Operation Foreman, is responsible for the operational availability of the section of intervention that has been appointed to him within the cyclone house and TMF perimeter for delivery of cyclone sand to the embankment
In this context:
- Control and monitor the section equipment to ensure consistent plant utilization and performance while promoting a safe work environment;
- Perform regular checks of the section housekeeping and accessibility, identify and address safety hazards and maintain clean working environment;
- Perform regular checks of the operating section equipment to ensure safe and optimal operating conditions.
- Identify and report equipment defects, coordinate maintenance intervention with Maintenance technician;
- Perform regular checks of the section streams and operating parameters. Identify, report and address operational shortfalls.
- Place, move and inspect sand and tailings delivery pipeline and related infrastructure
- Performs rounds of assigned TMF perimeter area to ensure proper conditions and operation of seepage collection system, decant tunnel discharge, tailings deposition infrastructure and sand dam
- Records reading from metering equipment not connected to remote monitoring system
- Complete daily inspection and operations reports
- Performs first level repair and maintenance operations
- Taking ownership of the section, be enthusiastic and pro-active in view of driving it to achieve production targets while maintaining safe working conditions.
- Participates in the operations of lockout and tag out equipment as part of a distribution of tasks between the team of operators and coordinated by the shift foreman
- Inform the control room DCS operator or the shift foreman of any anomaly
- Responds to incidents by limiting the impacts of leaks in accordance with emergency response plan
- Completes work permit process as required
- Apply the best practices needed to prevent environmental significant impact.
- Responsible of personal, co-workers and others safety taking actions to prevent any incidents, or accidents.
- Operate mobile equipment and power tools in a safe and correct manner
- Enter and work within confined spaces and work safely at height as required
To be successful in this role you will require:
- University education at a minimum technical level.
- Three years of experience in plant operations
- Understanding of physical processes.
- Any knowledge of occupational risks and prevention measures applicable to work.
- Capacity to make decisions in real time, the ability to monitor processes simultaneously.
- Trained or exposed to industrial plant operations.
- Familiarity with work permit systems and safe work procedures to control maintenance activities and manage hazards associated with chemical plant operations
- Ability to understand production strategies for large-scale, continuous operating mineral processing plants.
- Strong sense of accountability for actions and urgency towards achieving production targets. Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Good analytical skills aiming at troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to facilitate accurate transfer of information in an upward direction.
- Dedicated to best practices in Workplace Health and Safety and Environmental management.
- Affinity to working in a multicultural environment. Understanding of cultural sensitivities and differences.
- Affinity to communicating and volunteering information to piers and supervisors in view of creating a “team” environment
Previous extended tours of work in man camp/remote access locations or experience as a field contractor highly preferred.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now