Requisition Number: 504858
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Port Site
Categories: Engineering, Process
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Read blueprints and drawings and take or read measurements to plan layout and procedures,
- Determine the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements,
- Set up components for welding according to specifications (e.g. cut material with powered saws to match measurements),
- Operate angle grinders to prepare the parts that must be welded,
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces,
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead),
- Repair machinery and other components by welding pieces and filling gaps,
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws,
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety.
- Proven experience as welder,
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MMA etc.),
- Experience in using electrical or manual tools (saws, squares, calipers etc.),
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings,
- Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use protective clothing (face-shield, gloves etc.),
- Deftness and attention to detail,
- Proficient in English,
- Successful completion of a relevant apprenticeship program is required,
- Professional Certification (e.g. an AWS welding certificate) will be a plus.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now