Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Requisition Number: 504987
Contract Type: On-going
Country: South Africa
Site: Johannesburg Office
Categories: Information Technology
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Using in-depth knowledge of the supported platform; recommends improvements, defines system solutions, defines process solutions, troubleshoots integration issues, and represents interests of the support team in enterprise systems portfolio planning.
- Ensures high availability of enterprise infrastructure platforms that support internal employee business functions and external business partners.
- Tests, troubleshoots, and optimizes performance of systems, and assists users and technical staff with comprehensive technical support.
- Performs routine system monitoring, necessary troubleshooting, and daily alert review in order to determine the health and needs of systems.
- Maintains and recommends procedures for system administration activities, supports the development and maintenance of IT standards, and provides input for mid to long range systems planning.
- Utilizes judgment based on industry best practices to arrive at workable solutions, and provides second level technical support, which includes user management, call management, and application security.
- Designs and validates the hardware layer solutions, meeting resiliency and performance expectations.
- Maintains awareness and knowledge of industry technology trends for technical viability and risk management to the organization. Recommends future IT infrastructure initiatives in alignment with corporate initiatives.
- Works independently to plan and implement complex technical tasks and projects.
- Provides technical guidance on projects across functional areas and to third parties; mentors and trains peers.
- Required, at times, to be on-call and/or to work outside normal business hours and days of the week as necessary by the department.
- Adhere to and implement Group ICT standards and policies
- Effectively and efficiently develop, maintain and optimise server infrastructure
- Must be a good team player
- Must be able to work with globally diverse teams
- Understanding of ITIL processes
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 5 years' experience managing high availability Systems, Databases and Networks
- Must have advanced knowledge in the following technical disciplines: network design, security, servers and storage, database management, and/or operations.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and underlying MS network technologies
- Must have extensive knowledge of Microsoft SCCM
- Broad generalist knowledge of current, certified Information Technology standards, operating systems, and implications of emerging technology trends. Broad understanding of IT operational related technologies such as networking, security, backups, cloud, database and Converged Architecture.
- Ability to apply best practices to the company’s current state to achieve optimum performance and customer requirements
- Data Centre Management experience - including knowledge of and experience relevant Data Centre standards and best practices
- Extensive demonstration of high level experience with a solid track record of planning, coordinating and delivering multiple, complex programs towards successful delivery.
- Windows Server up to 2016
- Knowledge of Group Policy management
- Knowledge of Hyper V or VMware esxi up to v6.5
- Virtualisation advanced knowledge
- Windows Exchange Server – 2010 + Outlook 365
- Knowledge of Fibre Storage Area Network systems and HP Data protector and other backup solutions
- Knowledge and experience of disaster recovery systems and processes
- Vendor Technologies:
Cisco networking hardware
HP server hardware, including blade chaises
Advertised: FLE Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now