Safety Superintendent (Port)
Requisition Number: 505034
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Port Site
Categories: Health & Safety
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- To ensure the day to day management of safety issues are addressed with the Safety Manager
- Will look beyond the immediate risks to identify potential latent failures that are in the company processes and set in place processes to mitigate against these risks.
- Liaise with all Safety Officers and assist in implementation of Safety and Health Standards in line with Corporate strategy and annual business plans.
- Safety Sup will be a direct resource and provide daily guidance to deal with safety issues that arise.
- Audit Punta Rincon operational areas against the FQM Health and Safety Management System standards and assist with improving compliance levels.
- Audit Punta Rincon operational areas against policy, risk and impact identification and assist with the development of action plans.
- Review, design and implement summarized site operational health and safety topics and procedures.
- Review and assist in the standardization of site contractor controls and procedures.
- Provide strategic direction and input towards a more systematic approach to overall health and safety management at sites ensuring a continual improvement approach in line with OHSAS 18001 (2007).
- Audit Emergency response preparedness, procedures and training and assist in the continual improvement planning for emergency resources. (includes community awareness).
- Monitor and review incidents and review recurrent events and assist in development and implementation of remedial actions.
- Participate in high potential incident investigations and identify areas for improvement, and ensure relevant alerts are sent to Safety Manager for group circulation.
- Assist in compiling monthly reports from all operations on site.
- Support management & supervisor development training programs and establish high standards of safety performance for management.
- Support the organizational culture of FQM (Bolder, Driven, Smarter, Together) and actively promote it’s translation in terms of safety related activity
- Keep abreast of new developments and best practices in the field of H&S and make recommendations for improvements
- Provide support and participate to the implementation of the Visible Field Leadership program on site.
- Conduct periodic Safety Contractors meeting when required.
- Chair and conduct monthly SHE representative meeting on a monthly basis.
- Ensure monitoring of sub-contractors' safety performance and conduct quarterly audits to ensure compliance to the “Health & Safety requirements for contractors “ procedure
- Report all statutory documentation to the relevant regulatory organizations.
- Implement weekly Incident review meetings with relevant Department
- Conduct monthly Safety review meetings with Superintendents / Senior Supervisors in each section
- Ensure all incidents are uploaded to My Compliance
- Ensure all Hazards are identified and actioned on My Compliance and close out.
- Ensure all Legal appointments are in place per section
- Conduct random inspections and audit compliance to lifting equipment registers and inspections.
- Ensure all MSDS are up to date in each relevant section.
- Review baseline risk assessments in your section and ensure all recommendations are put in place.
- Randomly conduct Planned task Observations in conjunction with the training centre.
- Compile a workplace inspection matrix and ensure all work places are visited on a monthly basis in your section.
- Oversee general safety behavioral surveys when required (Think, Toolbox talks etc.)
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Must speak Spanish and English
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now