Assistant - Survey
Requisition Number: 505240
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Undertake work using standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Undertake housekeeping activities in the work area.
- Responsible to load survey equipment into vehicle for transport to work sites.
- Ensure that all necessary equipment is included and is in good working order.
- Set up and, under supervision, operate a range of specialist surveying equipment including theodolites, levels, prisms and electronic distance measuring equipment.
- Work with global positioning system (GPS) equipment, as computers with land surveying software and computer aided design (CAD) programs.
- Record readings and station numbers, marks points of measurement recording elevation, station number or identifying mark.
- Measures distance between survey points.
- Mark out boundaries with wooden pegs and/or star pickets driven into the ground.
- Identify measuring points with keel, paint sticks, scratches, tacks or stakes.
- Remove vegetation impeding line of survey using brush hook, knife, axe or similar.
- Control, report and reduce operational costs, and ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions.
- Adopt the FQM Way culture in the workplace - "Bolder, Smarter, Driven, Together."
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Surveyor or Chief Surveyor.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A recognized qualification in Surveying.
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use instruments and equipment of precision according to good engineering practice
- Good observation skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural workplace
- Current drivers license.
Minimum 2 years’ experience in construction/engineering surveying.
Fluency in Spanish required and proficiency in English highly regarded.
- Results driven.
- Technical skills and knowledge.
- Contributing to team success
- Planning and organizing
Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as Residential BIBO
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Ensure all safety and environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now