Requisition Number: 505345
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges:
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- The role has equipment and personnel accountability for the gold gravity concentrators and the gold room.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within section.
- Maintain a very high standard of plant and gold room housekeeping.
- Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI of gravity concentrator throughput
- Directly participate in the daily to monthly work activities of the processing plant, serving as technical support to operations personnel to enhance performance.
- Monitor, control and report on gold plant and process performance indicators.
- Ensure the diagnosis of process performance is conducted, focusing on identifying root cause, and implementation of both corrective and preventative measures.
- Constantly seek out innovative solutions for plant problems.
- Manage, track and report continuous improvement activities to deliver improved process performance.
- Review plant design, scope and develop justification for capital upgrades.
- Collaborate with peer Superintendents to achieve the best attainable outputs from the Gold recovery section.
- Ensure short and long term equipment maintenance plans and schedules are in place for the area to maintain operational availability.
- Implement the structure, manning levels and resources to deliver the Gravity concentrator & Gold section component of operations plan.
- Maintain staff development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and coaching to the national staff.
- Identify and actively manage succession planning for key roles.
- Contribute to the quarterly and annual operations production budget/forecasts.
- Prepare the annual gravity and gold operations budget and provide quarterly forecasts.
- Control, report and reduce operational costs.
- Implement FQM Way culture across the Technical team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together.”
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager Processing Plant.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
A Tertiary Qualification in Extractive Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or related field.
- Commitment to SHEC performance.
- Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others.
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans.
- Possess ability to analyze and understand complex metallurgical information.
- Good understanding of metallurgical process improvement and control strategies.
- Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for large-scale, continuous operating mineral processing plants.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
- Computer fluency is essential.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- 10 years of direct experience in technical and/or operational roles of crushing and grinding circuits.
- Minimum 5 years of leadership/supervisory experience.
- Significant experience in a large, complex base metals processing plant(s).
- Preferably experienced in the copper and gold circuits
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now