Superintendent Planning & Workforce Transport
Requisition Number: 505352
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Engineering, Services
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges:
- Assist the Site Services Manager deliver the scope of work associated with the department across all components of the company.
- Operate within and observe all laws of Panama.
- Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Ensure employees work in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Create and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Detailed Work Plans (DWP’s).
- Lead planning & reliability functions and processes including the continual review to identify potential changes that will enhance departmental process quality.
- Lead and manage the planning team tasked to oversee the coordination of planned maintenance and focus the strategy ensuring equipment reliability and availability is maximized while production is optimized.
- Provide maintenance planning and condition monitoring services to the site services team.
- Ensure all preventive and predictive maintenance plans are in accordance with the needs of the operation and activities are planned and scheduled via a computerized maintenance management system.
- Ensure equipment, plant and infrastructure is maintained accurately within the computerized maintenance management system.
- Provide technical support for maintenance personnel on a daily basis to maximize effectiveness, efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to planners, schedulers and supervisors to enable them to understand the critical issues affecting the business requirements across the Department.
- Manage planning for maintenance, equipment upgrades and plant parts inventory.
- Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, providing feedback and coaching to achieve business plans, production goals and service delivery outcomes.
- Lead the workforce transport function to effectively move employees across all work fronts and between offsite locations and the mine.
- Manage contractor service levels and performance ensuring a safe delivery of the transport services.
- Promote a positive employee environment ensuring a continuation of a solid working relationship with all employees.
- Implement FQM Way culture across the team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”.
- Act as deputy for colleagues as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager Site Services.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
A Tertiary Qualification in Mechanical Engineering and/or related Trade Certificate.
Strong leadership, motivational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for mobile and fixed plant infrastructure.
Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying maintenance shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans.
Proven ability to identify, analyse and understand equipment requirements.
Strong understanding of maintenance process improvement and control strategies.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to analyze data and provide clear and accurate operational maintenance performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
Computer fluency is a must.
Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
5-10 years of experience in maintenance operations or related area.
Minimum 5 years of leadership/supervisory experience in Planning.
Significant experience maintaining a wide range of mobile and fixed infrastructure.
Knowledge of JD Edwards preferred, other enterprise systems considered if very strong in other areas.
Proven experience in the use of maintenance management systems.
Exposure to scheduling and operating workforce logistics activities.
Fluency in English and Spanish is highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training is desirable.
- Leadership disposition.
- Flexible with a dynamic attitude to competing priorities.
- Proven results facilitating continuous improvement activity.
- Results driven.
- Proven success in planning and organizing.
- Strategic in decision making.
- Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as Residential or FIFO.
Safety and Environment:
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Ensure all safety and environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now