Heavy Equipment operator
Requisition Number: 505522
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Port Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are looking for Grader Operator to joying in our team at Cobre Panama
Key Accountabilities and Challenges:
- The Grader Operator is responsible for the pre-shaping, processing and cutting of the road Layers.
- The Operator should understand and be able to cut levels using the “Profile and Dip stick method” as well as have experience in working with the Trimble self-leveling GPS system. Additional Training will be given if the Trimble system is to be used, but a basic understanding would be required.
- The Operator will be operating “M”, “K” and “H” series graders, the controls on these graders differ from each other so it is essential that the operator knows the controls of the various graders as no training will be given.
- The Base is a stabilized layer and as such there are time limits in which to complete the process. The grader operator must understand this and in conjunction with the supervisor monitor the compaction process to ensure that the final cut is only done once compaction has been achieved but within the prescribed time limits. He will also be responsible walk the layer after the final cut is complete looking for areas of poor quality and will assist in having these rectified.
- Apart from cutting levels the Grader Operator will be required to assist in controlling the Processing and Compaction teams. He should be able to communicate with and direct these teams in order to get the best productions while maintaining a safe and harmonious work environment.
Essential tasks to be undertaken by the successful candidate will include:
- Operate the Grader.
- Ensure the correct pre-shaping of the layer has been achieved.
- Ensuring correct final levels are achieved.
- Ensuring that final Base finish and quality is achieved.
- Maintain and ensure a safe work environment.
- Assist the Mechanics to ensure correct maintenance of the grader.
- Assist in changing cutting edges and GET on the grader.
- Do daily prestart check sheets noting all faults and possible faults for the mechanic to rectify.
- Training of the personnel in his teams in order to continuously improve productivity and quality.
- Assists Supervisor in controlling the plant sequencing of processing team.
- Assists Survey with downloading of data into grader Trimble computer.
- Skilled as a Grader Operator.
- Good Knowledge of the Machine.
- Knowledge of the Trimble operating System.
- Good knowledge of Earthworks and road construction.
- Knowledge and ability to operate other machines.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Strong leadership and Communication.
- 1 Year as a road construction grader operator.
- Trimble Experience.
- Fluency in Spanish. A competency in English will be highly regarded but not essential for the position.
- Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as Residential BIBO
Daily safety & Environmental
- Look after the safety of the Machine and people in the area.
- Ensure that the work area is clean and free of possible hazards.
- Assist in ensuring that the team is aware of the possible hazards in the area and mitigate where possible these dangers.
- Participate in the drafting of Risk assessments, Daily Safety task observations as well as doing Tool box talks with teams.
- Ensure correct use of PPE.
- Understand the emergency procedures and know the contact details of the response teams in the event of an occurrence.
- Report all incidents including near misses to the Supervisor and Superintendent.
- Do not allow unsafe acts and horseplay in the work areas.
- Look out for leaks on the machine and report hydro carbon spills for correct clean up.
- Open windrows and blocked areas after construction to ensure the free flow of storm water.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now