Requisition Number: 505524
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Port Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are looking for Loader Operator to joying in our team at Cobre Panama
Key Accountabilities and Challenges:
- The Operator is responsible to Take Care of, Maintain and Operate the Loader or TLB.
- The Loader will operate in, but will not be limited to the Crusher area. The main function will be to load the haul units with the crushed products.
- The Operator must understand the principles of good loading, vehicle placement and load placement in order to improve the load/cycle time.
- The loader will also be used to clean the haul roads of any spillages and to load windrows of excess material.
Description of the Tasks:
Taking Care of the Loader:
It is the responsibility of the Operator to ensure that no damages occur to the machine i.e. no dents, scratches or knocks. The Loader must be operated, parked and stored in such a way that there is no danger to it from other vehicles. The machine must be cleaned regularly, and its instrumentation and controls kept free from dirt.
A documented general inspection of the Loader must be done before the start of each shift i.e. a Pre-Start Check Sheet must be completed. The oils must be checked and topped up if necessary, the various grease points must be checked and greased. The lights, tires, fuel levels, instrumentation and brakes must all be checked. Any irregularities must be reported to the Supervisor and the Mechanic. The Operator must also assist the Mechanic with any repairs or services that must be done.
Loading of Crushed Products: The Operator will be responsible for the loading of the haul vehicles in the borrow area. He/She must be able to operate the Loader with a smooth action, no harsh breaking, no punching of bucket into stockpile to pick up material and no using the haul vehicle as a break. The Operator must keep the load floor clean and understand how to position the Haul vehicles in order to get the best load cycle. Each Haul vehicle needs to be loaded with exactly the same amount of material, this makes calculating tipping spacing easier and more consistent.
Loading Windrows: In certain areas it will be required to load windrows of excess material, the Operator needs to be able to control his bucket so that he does not punch into the base material.
Cleaning Haul Roads: Rocks and other materials often spill onto the haul roads and become hazards for traffic. The loader operator must be able to pick up this material from the haul road without damaging the haul road and the Loader.
Essential tasks to be undertaken by the successful candidate will include:
- Operate the Loader.
- Control loading of haul units and ensures that all loads are equal.
- Maintain the load area and keep the floor clean.
- Assist with the maintenance of the haul roads.
- Load excess Windrows on pre-shaped or processed Layers.
- Checks that the Loader tires are at the correct pressure.
- Maintains and clean the Loader.
- Assist the Mechanics with any maintenance and repairs on the loader.
- Do daily prestart check sheets noting all faults and possible faults for the mechanic to rectify.
- Safety of Machine and people in area
- Be prepared and capable of operating other equipment as instructed by the Supervisor when required.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Skilled as a Loader Operator.
- Good Knowledge of the Machine.
- Knowledge of the Trimble operating System.
- Good knowledge of Earthworks and road construction.
- Knowledge and ability to operate other machines.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Strong leadership and Communication.
- 1 Year as a construction Loader operator.
- Fluency in Spanish. A competency in English will be highly regarded but not essential for the position.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now