Senior Mine Geologist
Requisition Number: 505631
Contract Type: On-going
Categories: Mine Geology
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Demonstration of a "safety first" focus by providing a strong contribution to the site safety culture and programs;
- Develop and manage procedures and systems to allow the timely and accurate collection of geological information to optimise metal extraction.
- Ensure quality and continuous improvement are pursued.
- Supervise, coach and mentor geological team members to optimise quality and team effectiveness.
- Develop, maintain and document geological models.
- Manage all mediums of geological data to enable accurate integration into the mine planning process to optimise metal extraction and extend the life of the mine.
- Ensure that daily ore production data is accurately reported.
- Assist in the compilation of weekly development and production forecast.
- Conduct performance planning and reviews with the Geology team;
- Other routine in-pit mine geology activities as may be required;
- This is a leadership role with direct reports and responsibility to train junior level geoscientists.
The appointee will have:
- Well-entrenched safety and quality principles;
- A recognized geoscience tertiary qualification;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in mining/mineral exploration required
- Well-entrenched safety and quality principles.
- Demonstrated leadership, initiative and project management capability required
- Proficiency using 3D modelling, geostatistical and database software required;
- Experience specifically with acQuire, ArcGIS, Vulcan and Leapfrog software preferred;
- Ability to work within a team environment and possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to work closely with peers at all levels required;
- Familiarity with logging diamond core, RC chips and sampling processes required
- A high level of scientific and analytical ability.
- Proven high levels of integrity and a reputation for the same.
- Emotionally mature and motivated
- High level of integrity
- Quality oriented
- Attention to detail
- Energetic and resilient
- Medically fit
- In possession of a valid passport and driver’s licence.
Advertised: Greenwich Standard Time
Applications close: Greenwich Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now