Shift Controller – Backend
Requisition Number: 506655
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Supervise operators in the process areas of the Hydromet Plant and ensure that all safe work procedures are observed. Comply with all aspects of Regulation 214 of the Mining Regulations of Zambia.
- Undertake regular inspections of all plant areas of responsibility eliminate or control detected hazards, ensure compliance with safe operating procedures and conduct regular toolbox/safety meetings with crews.
- Supervise personnel in accordance with established policies.
- Ensure that faults and breakdowns are assessed quickly and that a maintenance response is initiated. Raise required work orders. Ensure that all isolations and safe work systems are applied consistently and efficiently.
- Take an active role in the training and development of all staff members in the section.
- Actively participate in daily operational and maintenance planning.
- Ensure all area log sheets and daily reports are maintained in a timely quality fashion.
- Actively participate in all departmental activities including skills training, shift handover communications, toolbox meetings, safety KPI’s and any other activities as required by the Supervisor.
- Foster the development of employees to improve their performance and safety awareness.
- Ensure that all personnel in the shift comply with all policies and procedures.
- Accept personal responsibility for following up on training and identified development needs.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and behaviour. Set a good example for others.
- Provide practical hands on training, mentoring, and development to other less experienced process plant operators.
- Coach and mentor inexperienced operators to the highest possible level to meet an acceptable standard for successful competency testing.
- Train, mentor, and develop area operators, where identified to attain a level of competency equal to this position description.
- Provide training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an ongoing basis.
- Diploma in Metallurgy / Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years relevant plant experience in a Hydromet or related field
- Supervisory experience in plant operations.
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Operational Requirements
Advertised: FLE Daylight Time
Applications close: FLE Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now