Senior Drill and Blast Engineer
Requisition Number: 506737
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Design, plan, monitor and report on all Drill & Blast activities to insure a productive and efficient mining operation.
- Produce accurate Drill & Blast designs in a timely manner, as defined by the 3 Monthly and Weekly Plans provided by short range engineering.
- Under the direction of the Drill and Blast Lead undertake Drill and Blast related project studies and investigations: blast movement monitoring, wall control blasting trials, electronic initiation designs, mine to mill analysis, and other related projects.
- Introduce innovative D&B Engineering techniques and products.
- Be able to verify, analyse, and report blast performance data.
- Liaise with other departments on deliverables, inputs, and stakeholder needs
Compliance / Quality Control
- Champion operational quality control. Ensure holes are drilled to engineering planed depth, location, and inclination to achieve the desired blast result.
- Prepare, monitor and update production data associated with drilling and blasting activities.
- Review Q/A data, digging rates, and blast videos to determine areas of further improvement.
- Ensure Blast Masters Plans for the 3-month forecast are produced in timely manner.
- Review and analyses contractor shot reports identifying trends and inefficiencies.
- Consult and develop a close working relationship with the Geotechnical Engineer in order to optimize pit wall stability.
- Develop a sense of continuous improvement, seek to streamline drill and blast process to increase productivity, quality and compliance.
Education & Experience
- BSc in Mining Engineering & min of 5-8 years open pit mining in a drill and blast capacity.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment with many stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Ability to lead a multi-cultural environment
- Fluency in English / Proficiency in Spanish is highly regarded. A strong willingness to learn Spanish on site if not already proficient.
- Ability to maintain composure when dealing with conflicting priorities while providing consistent leadership and direction.
- Must be able to develop and maintain a cohesive working team.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, remaining on track and compensating for variances.
- Demonstrated ability to manage suppliers/contractors.
- Vision to perceive risks and opportunities and an ability to act on these circumstances accordingly.
- Ability to develop solutions in a rapidly changing and mentally challenging environment.
- Willingness to take initiative on projects, design changes, and inventive solutions
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now