Requisition Number: 506830
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
Categories: Health & Safety
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Follow the direction of the Shift Foreman
- To respond to only those events which they are assigned by the Shift Foreman
- Not to undertake any emergency response activity without direct supervision of a Shift Foreman or Station Supervisor
- Seek assistance when they are not comfortable with the task assigned
- Respond immediately and safely to emergency calls and request for assistance, if and when necessary.
- Attend to emergency incidents including fires, roads accidents, floods, bomb incidents, spillages of dangerous substances and rail and air crashes.
- Rescue trapped people and animals.
- Minimize distress and suffering, including giving first aid before ambulance crews arrive.
- Clean up and check the site after dealing with an incident
- Take time to become familiar with local streets, roads and buildings around their own and nearby fire stations in order to respond to emergency calls with the utmost speed and efficiency.
- Inspect and maintain the appliance (fire engine) and its equipment e.g. assist in the testing of fire hydrants and checking emergency water supplies.
- Undertake drills and physical training and generally maintain the level of physical fitness necessary to carry out all the duties of a fireman.
- Participate in training on techniques, use of equipment and related matters.
- Maintain links with the local community and educate and inform the public to help promote fire safety, e.g. giving talks in schools and to local organizations, and home visits to offer advice.
- Safeguard own and other people’s personal safety at all times.
- Respond quickly to unforeseen circumstances as they arise.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Superintendent
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Must oversee general safety behavioral surveys when required (Think, Toolbox talks, etc.)
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Basic Safety Awareness
- Good communications skills
- Fire awareness
- First Aid training
- Experience of emergency response highly regarded
- Fluency in Spanish & English highly regarded
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now
share-text="Share this:" more-text="More" links="facebook,twitter,myspace,linkedin,email" }