Planning Engineer - Power Plant
Requisition Number: 506900
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Operations / General Management, Power Plant
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Role and Responsibilities
The Planning Engineer will report to the Planning Supervisor.
Assistant Maintenance Planner duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Perform all duties assigned in a safe and professional manner. Be guided in all work by the precept that safety of personnel and equipment is a top corporate priority.
- During construction phase of project assist as required with the effort to correctly inspect, calibrate, repair, refurbish and install all plant equipment. Assist with monitoring installation of all plant equipment to ensure that it is installed as designed and per best industry practices.
- Assist with development of work packages for routine maintenance of all mechanical and electrical equipment on site. This includes emergency repair and replacement of tubes in all sections of the boiler. Packages to include:
• Participate in the creation of the asset registry
• Research and populate Bill of materials list for equipment
• Estimate durations and manpower loading for all steps of the work for maintenance scheduling.
• Complete list of tools and equipment required.
• Complete list of spare parts and material required including storage location.
• All applicable procedures and drawings.
• Hazard assessment and JSA for work to be done.
• List of expected LOTO points required to safely perform work.
• Detailed work instructions with standard pre-approved lift plans and step by step work check off sheets.
• QC requirements and QC signoff sheets.
• Operations inspection and release to operations forms.
• MPSA internal resources and Vendor contact information for consultation as required.
- Assist Startup and Commissioning effort as requested under the direct control of the Commissioning Manager.
As plant approaches operational status transition to ongoing duties:
- Continue to assist with development, updating, and maintenance of work packages for maintenance of all mechanical and electrical equipment on site.
- Assist with daily processing of all incoming work requests from any source. Assist with efforts to prioritize the work, prepare a schedule based on resource availability, assign appropriate work package or develop package if needed, monitor work in progress and work completion, close out each work request after successful return to service of equipment.
- Assist with preparation of schedules for all plant maintenance work including routine activities, emergency repairs, and scheduled outages and projects. Develop and update logic driven and resource loaded schedules for Annual, 3 Month Look Ahead, and 3 Week Work In Progress Views. Work with operations department to incorporate any required interfaces including testing, LOTO, post work inspection, and return to service.
- Provide rotation and vacation coverage for Maintenance Planner as required.
- Assist with ordering of all replacement parts and materials expended during plant maintenance functions. Help to forecast needs and order required parts, materials, tools and equipment for planned maintenance outages.
- Help to maintain complete equipment files, maintenance logs and drawings for all plant equipment.
- Assist with preparation and implementation of plant process controls system to measure, track, and document productivity for plant maintenance and routine operations work.
- Observe and document maintenance work on a regular basis to verify that requirements of work packages are being adhered to.
- Assist with execution of process improvement system for work packages.
- Monitor and analyze human factors involved with plant maintenance. Proactively identify improvements that could improve maintenance performance.
- Monitor and report on the productivity of outside personnel working at the plant.
- Serve as part of plant emergency response team based on qualifications and training.
- Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Excellent organizational and communication skills required.
- Basic understanding of industry best practices relating to planning, scheduling, and application of process controls.
- Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Training in Primavera P6 or Microsoft project highly preferred. Experience with software for managing work processing, logistics, and estimating highly preferred
- 3 years of experience as a field engineer, scheduler, or in process controls related work.
- Technical degree from Technical Institute or University preferred.
- Hands on experience as a millwright, maintenance mechanic, boilermaker, or industrial electrician highly preferred.
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and P&ID’s highly preferred. Ability to read and comprehend structural blueprints, electrical drawings, I&C drawings, and control logic drawings highly preferred.
- Documented professional training a plus.
- Previous extended tours of work in man camp/remote access locations or experience as a field contractor highly preferred.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now