General Helper - Environmental
Requisition Number: 506915
Contract Type: On-going, Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Execute field activities in the plans (weekly / monthly / quarterly / annual) to comply with the EMP and national regulations. Execution of 100% of the activities. Preparation of activity records.
- Execution of environmental inspections according to the inspection plans (weekly / monthly / quarterly / annual) to verify compliance with the EMP and national regulations. Execution of 100% of inspections. Preparation of inspection records.
- Execute environmental control operating procedures (drainage construction and cleaning, , pond cleaning, filter and sediment control barriers for ponds, manufacturing, assemble and allocation of geotubes, rolls, gabions, natural barriers , silt fences and other sediment and control techniques ).
- Carry out mitigation and cleaning activities for oil spills, wastes and other products that generate an impact on the environment
- Cleaning of invasive flora that could become a threat to the environment
- Carry out rescues of fauna in operational areas (reptiles / mammals / birds / fish). Liberation and relocation of rescued species in areas enabled for this purpose.
- Performing erosion control activities (construction of drains, cleaning of channels and sedimentation ponds, sediment filters, cleaning with machete, support in hydro-seeding)
- Execution of ecological restoration activities (demarcation of plots, cleaning, sowing, fertilization, pest control, maintenance, monitoring)
- Monitoring and sampling of soil, sediments, water, groundwater, air, noise and vibrations. Maintenance, cleaning and calibration of field equipment.
- Maintenance of monthly inventory with registration of quantities and conditions of materials and equipment of the Department of Environment.
- Carry out assistance activities during the monitoring, excavation and field survey, classification of remains of archeological remains, protection with type and allocation of proper sign around archeological sites.
- Nursery activities: search and rescue of seeds and seedling, search and soil preparation, watering, fertilization and plague control.
- Fauna recue and other activities described in the Biodiversity program
- Vet clinic activities: food search for wild animals, cage cleaning, feed wild animals amon others
- Execute task assigned by coordinator / supervisor
- Basic school studies (reading, writing, basic mathematics)
- Multicultural environment
- Use of hand tools, machete, hammer, shovel.
- Use of power tools, saws, drills, grinders, sewing machine
- Use of motorized tools, weeder, water cleaner, pumps, generators.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Skills of team work and interpersonal management
- Type D driver's license
- 0-2 years’ experience in manual works and use of mentioned tools.
- Experience in wildlife control and management
- Experience in agricultural / reforestation activities
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practices and environmental awareness.
- Ensure that all safety and environmental incidents are addressed and informed promptly.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and measures that are appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety problems at regular meetings
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now