Requisition Number: 506973
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are seeking a self-motivated and proactive accountant to work within the Finance team to assist the Superintendent in achieving the operations readiness plan for management accounting discipline.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
• Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
• Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
• Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis.
• Ensure work is executed in compliance with H&S, quality and environmental standards and procedures.
• Responsible for the monitoring and control of costs within an assigned department.
• Implement budget and forecasting/planning tool.
• Liaise and develop strong, positive working relationships, with all the departmental Superintendents and Managers in Cobre Panama
including participation in regular area cost reviews to control, report and reduce operational cost.
• Participate in the preparation of budget analysis reports including variance analysis and identification of key cost drivers.
• Provide assistance with the allocation of overhead expenditure.
• Provide assistance with the valuation of stockpiles and work in progress.
• Commit to the continuous improvement in management reporting and accounting methods to improve existing procedures.
• Participate in skills transfer to local employees.
• Control, report and reduce operational costs.
• Engage with the FQM Way culture across the business – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”
• Act as deputy for colleagues as required.
• Perform any other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• A Tertiary Qualification in Accounting and/or Finance
• CPA/CA membership highly regarded.
• Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent financial modelling skills particularly in the areas of mining/engineering.
• Strength in planning and organisation.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Ability to work under pressure in a sometimes stressful environment.
• Computer fluency is a must.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Minimum of 3-5 years direct experience in management accounting.
• Experience in inventor /stock valuation and building and calculating capitalized waste models.
• Experience in budget preparation in the mining sector highly regarded
• Experience with JDEdwards and Hyperion software will be highly regarded.
Fluency in English is required with competency in Spanish highly regarded.
• Technical/professional Knowledge and Skills.
• Building strategic relationships
• Results driven.
• Proven success in planning and organizing.
Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as Residential or FIFO.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now