Drill and Blasting Optimization Engineer
Requisition Number: 506999
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Contribute to the planning and scheduling of all MPSA drilling activities to ensure the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly plans are achieved.
- Provide inputs to the drilling reports as required to ensure management is kept informed of actual drill activities.
- Work with the provided drilling systems to monitor performance of key processes with a particular emphasis on running surfaces, drill area preparation, working dig faces, and dumps.
- Coordinate key performance issues working with the appropriate team members or suppliers to resolve them quickly i.e deliveries, breakdown, drill meters, drill consumables, costing etc.
- Produce production drilling data to elliminate delays and to improve production drill and blast requirements within the mining operations areas.
- Establish strong working relationships with the blast and mining operations teams to ensure the blast designs, schedules and plans are consistent with requirements.
- As directed, gather inputs specific to your area during the budget preparation process.
- Provide day to day compliance of the budget to ensure the budget and forecast are achieved highlighting any variances to management.
- Manage controllable cost drivers such as attendance, overtime, equipment hours, task assignment, work performance and consumable items to meet budget targets.
- Accountable for approval of purchases and expenditure within delegated limits of authority.
- Ensure fulfilment of staff against agreedrosters patterns and notifying management of gaps created during leave periods.
- Implement FQM Way cukture in the supervisory team - Bolder, Smarter, Driven, together.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Compliance / Quality Control
- Promote and adhere to to appropriate internal methodologies, policies, procedues and astandards.
- Consistently maintain a high quality of work acress all allocated functions.
- Consistently maintain a high quality of work across all allocated functions.
- Provide input/informed commentary, improvement opportunities and areas of risk to mansgement.
- Ensure the quality of work output is achieved against company standards and monitored daily to ensure delivery meets expectations.
- Actively contribute an improvement culture by actively encouraging employees to participate in continuous improvement.
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Ensure all safety and environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Completion of a bachelor of Engineering in Mining, Civil or Industrial.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to work in a team environmental.
- Knowledge of mining operations and drilling & blasting
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Some experience in operations, mine planning or drill and blasting is preferred however nor requirement
- Stong competency in MS Office and software (MineSight, Surpac and AutoCad)
- Engineering computer skills including Database (SQL), and spreadsheets (Excel, VBA)
- Mine planing software (Minesight, MS-Blast) preferred
- History of showing initiative and competence.
- Exposures to mining and drilling & Blasting processes and engineering required
- Strong knowledge of metric systems (milimetres, centimetres meters, kilogramas)
- Spanish is required and proficiency in English highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training desirable.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now
share-text="Share this:" more-text="More" links="facebook,twitter,myspace,linkedin,email" }