TMF - Geotechnical Engineer
Requisition Number: 506936
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Operations / General Management, Process
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We are currently searching for dynamic and experienced people to join our world class Open Pit Copper mining operation in Panama.
Join our Tailings Facility Management team as a Geotechnical Engineer.
Key Accountabilities include:
- Project Manage geotechnical investigations projects to gather foundations conditions for new dams and to collect additional information on existing dams; including preparation of scope of work, budget and contractor management, data analysis and preparation of technical reports.
- Collaborate with Field Operations and QA inspectors to interpret drawings and specifications and develop work methodologies to achieve material and placement specifications
- Lead the Engineering and Quality Control area
- Conduct continuous dam stability monitoring including training of operators, visual inspection and analysis of instrumentation data.
- Develop action plans based on monitoring and inspection outcome.
- Liaise with Engineer of Record on design compliance and dam performance.
- Participate in annual Dam Safety Inspection with Engineer of Record
- Develop technical memos as required to inform management and stakeholders on topics of interest
- Lead the Change Management, non conformity and corrective action process for all dam construction and monitoring activities.
- Review design document from EOR for constructability prior to issuance to site operations
- Provide instruction, guidance, review and sign-off for all drawings generated by internal drafting team
- Produce annual construction record report and sign-off as-constructed drawings
- Liaise with other technical specialists including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental, and other disciplines
- Provide quality leadership & mentoring of junior technical staff
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants
- Provide support for other geotechnical related tasks as requested by management
Essential for the role
- 10+ years of civil, geotechnical or related experience obtained largely from mining projects
- Bachelor´s degree in geological, geotechnical, mining or civil engineering or equivalent
- Work experience in design and inspection of tailings storage facilities or other dam facilities
- Work experience in field work such as construction observation, subsurface investigations, in-situ testing, instrumentation installation, surveying, materials testing, or facility inspections
- Proven leadership skills of technical teams
- Strong communication, interpersonal and task management skills
- Ability to multi-task between various strategic and technical interrelated issues
- Experience with design and construction of tailings dams and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure
- Proven experience with budgeting and cost forecasting
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Verbal and Written English communication skills; Spanish working knowledge as a minimum, fluency preferred.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now