Welder Level II
Requisition Number: 508095
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Work to standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives.
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis including inspection of all equipment ensuring that it is fit-for-purpose and safe
- Ensure work is undertaken in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures.
- Ensure housekeeping is executed in all designated work areas.
- Follow relevant SOPs for all work activities ensuring job execution is planned and controlled base on the schedule of works.
- Inspect and repair equipment in the field to the required standard.
- Inspect and replace Ground Engaging Equipment as required.
- Carry out regular inspections to identify defects so future work can be planned where possible.
- Carry out maintenance work on equipment in compliance with company procedures in order to minimize project delays and that documentations is completed on time.
- Execute fabrication work to certified level of accreditation from maintenance work schedules as directed.
- Set up and safely operate welding equipment and cutting equipment including start-up and shutdown procedures.
- Read and interpret schematic drawings including but not limited to obtaining orientation from the drawing as well as compiling a materials list for work required.
- Carry out an assessment of spares and materials required to complete work effectively, where necessary ordering additional items via the Supervisor.
- Be an active contributor to the 'team' environment of mining maintenance personnel striving to consistently deliver and exceed expectations.
- Undertake nominated training activities to maintain and up-skill required competencies.
- Execute duties with the focus to reduce operational costs.
- Adopt the FQM Way culture– “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”
- Act as deputy for colleagues as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Certification/Trade test papers to undertake fabrication work level 3F-4G
- Certification to 6G highly regarded.
- Driving license.
- Forklift license well regarded.
- Crane License highly regarded.
- Non-destructive testing, dye penetrant testing for cracks highly regarded.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability.
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment;
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- 3-5 years experience in a heavy industry environment.
- Experienced in the use of angle grinders, drilling machines, cut off machines, pedestal drilling machines, magnetic base drilling machines, chalk line and level.
- Fluent Spanish language skills preferred.
- Technical professional knowledge and Skills
- High work standards
- Team success
Cobre Panama is a remote site and the position is offered as Residential BIBO.
Work hours and rosters may vary as required by the business.
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now