Power Plant Operations Trainer
Requisition Number: 508246
Contract Type: Fixed Term, On-going
Site: Cobre Panama
Categories: Operations / General Management, Port
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all duties assigned in a safe and professional manner. Assume a lead role in ensuring the safety of all plant personnel and equipment by adhering to plant safety program and good operating practices both in letter and in spirit.
- Lead role in development of all plant operational procedures.
- Direct responsibility for training all operations personnel in the safe and efficient operation of ALL plant equipment to help ensure that the highest possible levels of availability and reliable output are maintained by the power plant facility as a whole.
- Responsible for obtaining and maintaining all operations personnel certifications required by law and MPSA requirements.
- After initial training cycle is completed continue to act as the operations training lead for all annual refresher training, cross training of operations and maintenance personnel, new employee training as required. Responsible for setting up an ongoing operator evaluation program to help maintain operator proficiency on a continuing basis
- Lead role in any operational problem root cause evaluations.
- If necessary provide coverage for Operations Superintendent / Foremen as required.
- Assist with financial performance of Operations Department as it relates to preparation of annual budget, cost control implementation, and planning for both routine maintenance work and special projects.
- Develop and implement cross-training and professional development courses for operating and maintenance department personnel to with goal of increasing understanding and cooperation between departments.
- Assume a lead role in the planning, scheduling, coordination and execution of the operations roles during planned outage and project implementation activities.
- Assist with maintaining the quality and performance of all department activities at a level appropriate for an asset of critical importance to corporate financial performance.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Excellent understanding of the operational requirements for a large plant process or utility scale power plant particularly in regards to safety, reliability, and dispatched operation.
- Demonstrated proficiency at establishing and executing operational training for a power plant of this size and complexity.
- 5 years or more satisfactory experience as a power plant Operations Shift Supervisor.
- 10 years or more hands on experience as a power plant operator including time spent as a Control Room Unit Operator.
- Experience with switching and operation of high voltage systems and equipment required.
- Current professional licenses such as Licensed Boiler Operator highly preferred.
- Certifications in Training and Safety highly preferred.
- Familiarity with digital control systems required.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Previous extended tours of work in man camp/remote access locations.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, scheduling, and work planning programs of some type.
- Good English communication skills; Spanish working knowledge as a minimum, fluency preferred.
- Experience working within multi-cultural environments a definite plus.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now