Environmental Superintendent - Compliance Management, Environmental Management Systems and Environmental Health
Requisition Number: 510796
Contract Type: On-going
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi)
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. is an established and growing mining and metals company currently operating four mines and developing projects worldwide. Our aim is to become a globally diversified mining and metals company.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We currently produce copper cathode, copper in concentrate, nickel, gold and sulphuric acid.
First Quantum’s current operations are the Kansanshi copper-gold mine in Zambia, the Guelb Moghrein copper-gold mine in Mauritania, the Kevitsa nickel-copper-PGE mine in Finland and the Ravensthorpe nickel-cobalt mine in Australia.
When our current projects are in operation, we expect we will be able to triple our annual copper production capacity and be positioned within the world’s 10 largest copper producers.
Sentinel is the first mine to be developed at the Trident project in the North Western Province of Zambia. The project comprises five large-scale mining licences and significant geological potential exists for expansion of operations, including the Enterprise nickel mine announced in December 2012. First Quantum is investing US$1.725-billion at the Sentinel mine and construction remains on time and on budget. Plant commissioning will commence in mid-2014 and copper production is expected reach 280 - 300,000 tonnes per annum.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee environmental compliance management through reporting, raising awareness and liaison with relevant government authorities.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Environmental Management Plan and update of environmental liabilities through site surveys and assessments.
- Conducting risk reduction activities through environmental inspections and audits of departments and contractors by offering leadership in closure of non-conformities.
- Providing innovative solutions for environmental challenges and taking full ownership.
- Lead the implementation of ISO 14001:2015 and adherence to subscriptions of the Equator Principles.
- Holistic planning and implementation of Indoor residue spraying within KML supported catchment by attaining set target for malaria control purposes in consultation with other key stakeholders.
- Preparation and updating plans, procedures and technical guidelines to ensure compliance with the law and international good practices.
- Conducting sound environmental investigations.
- Team development and mentorship
- Perform any other duties assigned to by supervisor.
- Contribute to compliance with the Zambian Environmental Legal requirements, corporate commitments and international best practices.
- Grade twelve certificate.
- Tertiary education in environmental engineering or any related field (at least a Bachelor of Science or Engineering).
- Relevant experience in environmental management, at least 5 years’ experience.
- Team leadership skills.
- Self-driven, proactive, innovative and must have passion for environmental management.
- Understands FQML core values and operations at Sentinel mine.
- A post graduate qualification in environmental related technical field will be an added advantage.
Experience and Skills:
- Environmental management in general
- Environmental law and compliance requirements
- Leadership skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in environmental management.
- Environmental management in general
- Technically competent and good leadership skills.
- Able to develop and encourage team performance.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to create a good network with people within KML
- Must be environmental and safety conscious.
- Must pay attention to detail.
- Sober minded, structured in performing duties, long term foresight, ability to adjust to changing environments and result oriented.
Advertised: FLE Standard Time
Applications close: FLE Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
share-text="Share this:" more-text="More" links="facebook,twitter,myspace,linkedin,email" }