MINE/TMF/PP Environmental Superintendent
Requisition Number: 510759
Contract Type: On-going
Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
Categories: Environmental, Process
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Provides support for the development, implementation and maintenance of environmental plans.
- Plans, executes mitigation plans to avoid, minimize and/or environmental risk.
- Recommends improvement in the processes, design, procedures, activities and/or operating equipment at mine, process plant and Tailings Management Facility (TMF) to minimize, avoid or mitigate environmental hazards.
- Leads water quality (Surface and groundwater) compliance and risk assessment around the site, also the initiatives, plan and execution of rock drainage risk quantification, mitigation and/or treatment strategies.
- Facilitates and lead environmental incident investigations, root cause assessment.
- Proposes and lead effective, cost-efficient and timely corrective and preventive actions.
- Supervises the plan and execution of awareness environmental program
- Support and executes the environmental inspection plan. Supervises results, trends and propose mitigation plans for main risks.
- Performs on-site environmental surveillance inspections to verify the environmental conditions
- Oversees strategies, plans and techniques for water quality compliance according to local regulation
- Supports the monitoring team with appropriate techniques for water quality sampling, plan and equipment utilization.
- Support and recommend surface and groundwater quality monitoring, analysis and strategies
- Analyses surface water, groundwater, air, sediments, soils quality results and trends and recommend improvements to minimize environmental risks.
- Recommends improvement in the monitoring procedures and activities
- Supervises Archeological commitments of Cobre Panama.
- Oversees and coordinates the execution of the Archaeological Monitoring Plan.
- Trains, mentor and oversees Mine, Process Plant and TMF environmental coordinators and personnel
- Plan and organize environmental emergency procedures and responses. Plan resources, drill and personnel and equipment preparation
- Support the implementation of the Environmental Management System
- Supervises, recommends and review the purchase of materials and equipment.
- Support improvement and maintain the environmental database
- Follow the FQM culture - "Bolder, Smarter, Driven, Together."
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Geology, Chemical or Environmental engineer
- Proven Knowledge and experience in Acid Rock Drainage Strategies
- Master degree in Environmental Science topic is a plus
- Knowledge in hydrogeology is a plus.
- Knowledge root cause analysis.
- Project Management certified or similar studies
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to maintain focus on priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong ability to network with others to achieve results.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Minimum10 years of relevant experience Mining and/or Mining Consultant companies.
- Experience in environmental audits in Process Plants and Mine operations
- Ability to develop solutions in a challenging environment.
Technical Ability / knowledge
- Project Management Skills
- Acid Rock Drainage analysis prediction and treatment.
- Groundwater and surface analysis and modelling (a plus)
- Environmental legislation
- Intermediate Excel Management - Advanced Excel Management (a plus)
- Knowledge in descriptive statistics - Knowledge in parametric statistics
- Knowledge in Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Knowledge or experience in Hydrochemistry (a plus)
- Management of basic Microsoft Office programs.
- Driver's license. Skills for handling 4X4 vehicles
- Demonstrated ability to manage suppliers / contractors.
- Fluent Spanish
- Advanced or good English would be an advantage.
Habilidad técnica / conocimiento
- Habilidades de gestión de proyectos.
- Análisis y predicción del análisis de drenaje ácido de roca.
- Análisis y modelado de aguas subterráneas y superficiales (un plus).
- Legislación medioambiental.
- Administración de Excel intermedia - Administración de Excel avanzada (un plus)
- Conocimiento en estadística descriptiva - Conocimiento en estadística paramétrica.
- Conocimiento en Sistemas de Información Geográfica (SIG).
- Conocimiento o experiencia en hidroquímica (un plus).
- Gestión de programas básicos de Microsoft Office.
- Licencia de conducir. Habilidades para manejar vehículos 4X4
- Capacidad demostrada para gestionar proveedores / contratistas.
- Español fluido
- Inglés avanzado o bueno sería una ventaja.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now